Greensboro Chapter History
In the Fall of 1953, a small group
of mothers who happened to be friends and business associates came together to
organize a chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Incorporated in Greensboro,
North Carolina. The mother’s ultimate
objective was to inaugurate programs and develop the youth of the
Greensboro community through the immediate efforts with their own children.
It was at the June 1954 national convention held in Durham,
North Carolina, that the Greensboro Chapter of Jack and Jill of America, Inc.
was accepted into national membership.
This Chapter was the sixtieth entry in the national organization.
The National President, Mrs. Nellie Rouhlac, installed the
Greensboro Chapter in the home of Margaret Falkener on October 8, 1954. The following were charter members of
the group: Elreta Alexander,
Sallie Corbett, Elizabeth Dowdy, Edna Fisher, Margaret Falkener, Blance Grant,
Anne Graves, Mae Sue Henry, Eva Miller, Winnie Robinson, Sue Taylor, and Ivy
Officers elected after receiving the Chapter’s Charter were
Margaret Falkener, President; Anne Graves, Vice President; Winnie Robinson,
Secretary; Edna Fisher, Treasurer; and Sallie Corbett, Journalist.
The first group of mothers installed after the Chapter was
established were Nettie Banks, Marietta Carington, Pauline Foster, Anita
Rivers, Juanita Spaulding and Rosalie Wooden in December 1954.
Greensboro Chapter Members-Only Portal *coming soon*